The Department of Biotechnology at the al-Farabi KazNU is the first and so far the only department in Kazakhstan where research is successfully developing, and specialists in the fields of biochemistry, microbiology, biotechnology of microorganisms, plants and animals, environmental biotechnology, bioinformatics and ecosystem modeling are trained.
The head of the Department is Kistaubaeva A.S., a PhD, Associate Professor.
Currently, the staff of the department employs 12 Professors, 16 Associate Professors and 6 PhD. They are actively conducting scientific work in the following areas:
1. Bioenergetics and biotechnology of phototrophic microorganisms
2. Ecological biotechnology, biochemistry, plant physiology
3. Bioinformatics, genomics, proteomics
4. Efferent properties of corbanized sorbents
5. Algology, BAS based on microalgae
6. Food Biotechnology
7. Physiology of soil microorganisms, bioremediation of contaminated soils
8. Probiotic biotechnology.